Digital marketing has become a popular subject at personal as well as professional levels. It helps us to connect with our target audience at the right place and time. No business can think of growth and success without applying effective digital marketing strategies. Both small and large businesses take advantage of the various online marketing strategies by giving access to the mass market at an affordable price. Keep reading in order to get answer for “what is digital marketing strategy” and other related queries.
Table of Contents
In this blog, you’re going to explore what digital marketing strategy is and the 8 types of digital marketing strategies with their definitions and importance. In addition, we’re also going to discuss the difference between digital marketing and traditional marketing as well as a career opportunity in digital marketing.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the strategic approach to attract a target audience using the internet & electronic devices. In simple words, it is the act of selling products and services through different channels such as websites, blog post portals, social media, email, and mobile apps.
Online marketing uses multiple channels and technologies that allow an organization to analyze and target its audience through campaigns, content, and strategy to understand what’s working and what isn’t in real time.
Businesses and organizations use different content types to showcase their brand, products, and services online.
Some examples of popular content types are as follows:
- Articles & blog posts
- Infographic images & videos
- Ebooks & PDFs
- Emailers & webinars
- Furthermore, social media posts & podcasts
What is Digital Marketing Strategy?
It is a plan for establishing an online presence through internet marketing channels such as organic search, paid ads, social media optimization and marketing, email campaigning, pay-per-click advertising (PPC advertising), and other web-based mediums.
Benefits of Digital Marketing Strategies
|High ROI (Return on Investment)
|Measurable & real-time
|It’s a 24*7 marketing approach
|Entry resistance is low
|Global potential customer reach
|Local potential customer
|Easy to learn
|High sales conversion rate
Moreover, it encourages brand awareness, builds global reach, and tracks results in real-time.
Types of Digital Marketing Strategy
Digital marketing can be broadly categorized into 8 modules:
|Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
|Email MarketingEmail Marketing
|Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
|Social Media Optimization (SMO)
|Social Media Marketing (SMM)
The above strategies have difference approaches and functions. Therefore, you need to use them according to the specific tasks.
Let’s now understand the 8 types of digital marketing strategies with their importance.
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is a technique for optimizing content (Websites, blogs, videos, etc.) to improve the positioning and appearance of the web pages on certain keywords in organic search results. It also helps increase the volume and quality of traffic.
Now the question arises, why SEO?
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Search Engine Optimization:
- SEO improves Return on Investment.
- It boosts credibility among consumers.
- Search Engine Optimization also measures the success of the sites in real numbers.
- It also helps drive high-quality organic traffic to the sites.
- Moreover, SEO generates more leads and sales.
Types of SEO strategies
Technical SEO: It refers to website and server optimization that helps Google Search Engine spiders crawl and index your site or content more effectively so that organic ranking can be improved. For websites, it includes SSL implementation, mobile-friendliness and reducing the loading time of webpages, creating an XML sitemap, adding robots.txt and handling 404 pages, registering a site with Google Search Console, and Bing Webmaster Tools, analytics, and so on.
On-Page SEO: It includes optimizing content with good keyword selection, putting keywords into correct places, giving appropriate titles for every content, optimizing images, titles, and so on.
Off-Page SEO: It includes link building, increasing link popularity, social media marketing, link exchange, forum & guest posting, etc.
2. Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
SEM is the process of increasing website visibility on SERP (Search Engine Results Page) through paid search advertising. It includes building impressions & engagements through CPC (Cost Per Click), CPM (Cost Per Million Impressions), CTR (Click Through Rate), etc.
It gives instant and constant results in comparison to SEO. This is flexible for running Ads whenever one wishes to. You must pass through this marketing strategy to boom your business and become a bull.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Search Engine Marketing:
- It helps generate brand recognition as well as revenue swiftly.
- SEM helps you reach the target audience in the right place and time.
- Search engine marketing reinforces a brand’s name recognition.
- In addition, it also provides you with a competitive advantage.
3. Social Media Optimization (SMO)
SMO is a strategy of using social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, TikTok, etc. to manage and grow an organization’s online presence. It also helps provide consumers with a communication channel for support, reviews, feedback, and complaints.
Social Media Optimization is considered the top traffic-generating source if applied effectively.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Social Media Optimization:
- SMO ensures a strong presence for your brand on the internet.
- It increases your audience reach.
- You can drive great traffic through SMO.
- Social media optimization is one of the best ways to generate leads.
- Moreover, it improves search engine ranking.
4. Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social Media Marketing, a self-defining term, refers to the use of social media and networks to market products and services of companies.
It not only allows companies to engage with existing customers but also reaches new users by allowing them to promote their products and services.
Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, TikTok, etc., have become revenue-generating customer bases for businesses across the globe.
Related: How to Create The Facebook Page
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Social Media Marketing:
- SMM increases brand awareness and inbound traffic for the business.
- It is also beneficial for improving search engine rankings on Google, Bing, and other search engines.
- Social media marketing has better and higher conversion rates than SMO.
- It provides better customer satisfaction and experience.
- SMM is one of the effective digital marketing channels that improve your brand loyalty.
- Additionally, it is cost-effective and helps you gain your brand authority and trust.
5. Email Marketing
Email Marketing is the process or efforts to promote a company’s products and services using email. If one wishes to grow a brand or sell stuff, email marketing is one of the most effective and popular tools around for marketing ads and digital marketing campaigns.
It can help make customers aware of the latest items or offers by integrating them into marketing automation efforts. It can also play an important role in your marketing strategy with, brand awareness, leading generations, building relationships, or keeping customers engaged.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Email Marketing:
- You can create personalized content and collect feedback and surveys through email marketing.
- Email marketing strategy is helpful for communication with your target audience, driving more traffic to your site, and increasing sales and revenue.
- You also can send email campaigning timely and track the results easily.
6. Content Marketing
This is a marketing strategy used to attract and engage an audience by creating and posting relevant articles, videos, podcasts, and a few other media.
Content marketing is one of the best approaches that establish expertise, promote brand awareness, and keep your products and services top of mind when it’s time to buy what you sell.
To use this effectively, you need to create and deliver the right content at each stage of Content Writing.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Content Marketing:
- Content marketing strategy boosts your SEO and overall organic traffic for your website.
- It helps establish trust and authority in your brand.
- Content marketing also creates brand awareness.
- Most importantly, it is helpful to get connected with your audience through multiple learning formats.
- You can also support and guide your audience throughout the sales conversion funnel.
7. Affiliate Marketing
This is an advertising model in which a company gives commissions to third parties (e.g. bloggers) to advertise their products and services and generate sales. The third-party publishers are known as affiliates.
The affiliates use their own resources such as websites, blogs, and apps to market the product and services.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Affiliate Marketing:
- This marketing strategy has low ongoing costs and low risk.
- Affiliate marketing is an advanced way of making passive income.
- It also increases the competitive advantages.
- Affiliate marketing provides you with a high conversion rate.
- Additionally, it’s easy to work from home.
Related: How to make money online at home
8. Influencer Marketing
It is a form of social media marketing.
This type of marketing includes affirmation and advertisements (Products and services) by influencers, individuals, brands, and organizations that have a thorough awareness of social media marketing and have a social impact in their field.
Influencer marketing is partially like word-of-mouth marketing. This strategy enables your company to extend the scope, improve brand awareness, and generate new leads.
Here are a few examples to understand the importance of Influencer Marketing:
- Firstly, influencers quickly build trust and relationships.
- Through influencer marketing, you can improve your brand awareness quickly.
- It is one of the most attractive ways by which you can effectively reach your target audience.
- Furthermore, you provide amazing value to your target audience and build winning partnerships.
Also read: How to Increase YouTube Subscription
Digital Marketing Versus Traditional Marketing: Which is Better?
If you talk about traditional marketing, it is the old way of marketing technique. Under this approach, people were using TV ads, radio ads, visiting cards, pamphlets, flyers, billboards, and newspaper ads for advertisements and promotions. Therefore, traditional marketing is not as result-oriented and cost-effective as online marketing is.
Whereas, digital marketing is a modern and advanced marketing technique. Additionally, online marketing has made everything easier as you don’t need to go outside to purchase or make any bill payment. You can order anything by sitting at home.
That’s why, it’s better to use strategies of digital marketing rather than any other traditional one.
Also read: PWA Builder
A career in Digital Marketing
With the advancement of technology and the internet, digital marketing has become a great field as a career opportunity.
Let’s now know the posts you can train yourself to get amazing digital marketing jobs.
|Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Expert
|Social Media Marketer or Executive
|Digital Marketing Manager
|Graphic Designer or Web Designer
|Search Engine Marketer
|Content Marketing Manager
|Videographer or Video Editor
|Content Writer & Copywriter
|Digital Marketing Influencer
Note: Achieving the above post is quite competitive and needs advanced skills and practice. However, there are several offline and online academies that provide such competitive training. for example, Google, Hubspot, Udemy, and others are the online platforms to study certified digital marketing courses.
Furthermore, after learning or experiencing companies in digital marketing strategies, you can open and run your own digital marketing agencies. However, we recommend that you should practice for 5-8 years before you jump into it.
With the advancement of technology, the research, and practice of internet marketing are ascending too. Online marketing not only fosters new opportunities but also poses unprecedented challenges for marketers. So, to mount any business, one must have to follow online marketing strategies and technologies. Social media marketing and other types of smart marketing help anyone to make a face, attract target people, become a brand, and rule over other businesses of the same kind.
In addition, digital marketing is not only a source of job opportinities but also to open your own digital marketing agency.